Katowice Archidiocese was founded with Pius XI bull „Vixdum Poloniae unitas” – 28 .10. 1925 and became part of Cracow Archdiocese. In the beginning of its existance the diocese consisted of about 915,000. In 1992, the new administrative division of the Polish Church resulted in diminution of the Katowice Archdiocese territory: 6 deaneries became part of Gliwice Diocese (200,000 people), 8 deaneries were included into the Bielsko-Żywiecka Diocese (350,000 people). Currently the population of the Katowice Archdiocese is 1,500,000; about 1,450,000 of them are Catholics. Katowice Archdiocese consists of 37 deaneries, 322 parishes with 1065 priests, 117 convent priests and 935 consecrated people. 120 students are learning in the seminary.
THE DIOCESE’S PATRON SAINTS
– OUR LADY OF PIEKARY
The Sanctuary of Holy Mother of Social Justice and Love in Piekary Śląskie is the biggest centre of pilgrimages in Silesia concerned with the cult of Holy Mary. It was founded in 17th centrury, when priest Jakub Roczkowski moved the picture of Our Lady from the aisle into the main altar. Between the World Wars of the 20th century state pilgrimages started: men and boys (lat Sunday of May) women and girls (first Sunday after 15.08). 100,000 – 150,000 pilgrims participate in each one. They gather on the Calvary Hill. Since 1992, on a day before men’s pilgrimage, symposiums on cultural and social problems of Upper Silesia are held.
– SAINT JACK – PATRON SAINT OF SILESIA
He was a Domincan, preacher and missionary. He is pictured as a Dominican in a habit holding a monstrance, ciborium, cup, figure of Holy Mary, book and lilly.
There is no bigger cathedral in Poland than the Cathedral of Christ the King in Katowice. Its history includes magnificent and dramatic events and for the past hundred years it has been strongly linked with the complex
and difficult history of Upper Silesia, Poland and the Church in these regions. The cathedral was designed by Zygmunt Gawlik and Franciszek Mączyński. The construction of the church started on 1927. Consecration of the Cathedral of Christ the King took place on October 30th 1955. Twice a year – on a Palm Sunday and on a Community Day of the Light-Life Movement, which takes place in the beginning of September – the Cathedral is filled up with prayers and singing of thousands of young people.
WIKTOR SKWORC, METROPOLITAN ARCHBISHOP OF KATOWICE
MAREK SZKUDŁO, AUXILIARY BISHOP OF THE KATOWICE ARCHDOCESE
ADAM WODARCZYK, AUXILIARY BISHOP OF THE KATOWICE ARCHDOCESE
DAMIAN ZIMOŃ, SENIOR METROPOLITAN ARCHBISHOP
GERARD BERNACKI, SENIOR AUXILIARY BISHOP OF KATOWICE ARCHDIOCESE
More info: www.archidiecezja.katowice.pl